Skip to main content

Beijing The Behemoth


Beijing the behemoth. At the airport I’m beat from being up some thirty-odd hours, but too sentient to think of sleep, the hotel be damned. Throw me instead into this sea of concrete, bemused smiles and unabashed stares.

In the taxi with Chris, the school’s recruiter, Iphigenia and I watch the towers of concrete repeat themselves for miles. I command myself to take in every detail, no matter how small. But I’m fading fast and when the city center at last comes into view, she’s too late. The fatigue has unfortunately set in and I can’t make out much but the obvious: taxis, bicycles, rickshaws. . . .

And so the hotel it is for us, because anyway I’m just too damn worked up. I don’t have a map, I don’t speak Mandarin, I haven’t changed any money yet. I promise myself a good random stroll the next morning, one which will enlighten me as to the way of the street, the dao of the hú tòng. 

But the morrow brings nothing so edifying. Only a short walk with killjoy Chris, who clams up at all my questions, and then an expensive coffee at an arty café. Initially he wasn’t even going to let me have my chic caffeine fix. Pulling me aside after we entered he hemmed and hawed a bit before saying, Actually this place is, well, um, it’s rather expensive, you know. I’ll have to wait to have Beijing as a lover.

We leave for Tangshan, where we are to begin our teaching assignment. There is no bus station as such—just a side street north of the central train station where the bus pulls up and waits to be filled. I’ll be amazed if I remember where to find it should we be lucky enough to return on a paint-the-town-red visit. An hour and a half or so eastbound toward the Bohai Sea and we’re there. Flat, grey Tangshan and its dun-colored environs—lugubrious. 

Hmm . . . and Iphigenia grabs my arm just as I’m getting back on the bus to Beijing. Damn.

We’re supposed to start teaching tomorrow, Chris notes, and so we visit the school to meet the director, heart-attack-prone Lola Xiao, who, eyeing Iphigenia greedily, is downright obsequious. Later Chris would tell us that Lola can’t wait for enrolment to rocket after she tells the parents she’s landed a native-speaker who also happens to be a woman.

Lola says she hopes we like the flat but, they’re very sorry, they haven’t had time to clean it. No problem, we say, we can manage. When we get to our flat we see that Lola did not deceive. Months of disuse have left the window sills grime-covered. Empty cobwebs hang forlornly from the ceiling. The floors are caked in dust, the kind that from Tbilisi to Tangshan accumulates hourly like a hirsute man’s stubble. It will take days to clean before we are comfortable letting our effects touch the surface. But Chris is adamant that we show up for work tomorrow as planned. We beg clemency. Give us a day, will you? No, says he. Iphigenia breaks into soft sobs. Wendy, a secretary at the school who accompanied us to the flat, comforts Iphigenia and beseeches Chris to take pity.

Hem, haw.

Look, I say, trying to keep my voice even, we’re here and we want to work. And we’ll work damn hard for you these next few months. But we thought the place would ready for us, and it’s not. So give us a day to clean it up, and we’ll be in the next morning, ready to go.

Hem but no haw. Chris, at Wendy’s prompting, even brings himself to ask whether we need help cleaning. We respectfully decline. They direct us to the closest supermarket where we buy mops and disinfectants. Then, on hands and knees we scrub the bejesus out of the place, clearing a path of grime so that we can walk from the front door to the kitchen and the bedroom. Hours later I step back to admire our work and wipe the sweat from my forehead. I sneeze violently and when I blow my nose it’s black.

Before we fall asleep Iphigenia whispers, I wonder what time the earliest bus to Beijing leaves?  

Beijing the lodestone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HE AIN’T HEAVY — THE GRAND FINALE

( Cont’d from parts I and II .) After a year in town the sounds of the street which I once thought sensuous became nothing more than endless streams of noise. Once again I couldn’t manage to fall asleep. Rhappy, V. E. and Co. were at it right outside my bedroom window. I considered getting up and roaring from the balcony, fist pumping like Il Duce, but finally could not bring myself to do it. It will only make things worse, I decided, because then they will start to take pleasure in annoying me in subsequent 3:30 am sessions, talking even louder to mock my fury. Better to let them remain oblivious to my suffering, to do it in silence. At length I became so tired that their voices seemed sufficiently muffled to act as a white-noise machine . When I got up later that morning I took a closer look at the pine tree whose branches shaded my window. It reminded me of a tree I had seen near a chapel at Kodjori, a town in the foothills above Tbilisi with a ruined fortress that

‘He Ain’t Heavy’, Part II

( Cont’d from Part I ) . . . V. E.’s size works against him.  He is unable to lower his center of gravity and thus has to grab Rhappy around the chest rather than lower down — that is, what would be beneath Rhappy’s center of gravity.  This makes V. E.’s task of getting Rhappy into the dumpster hard going, and, as such, Rhappy at length wins the struggle.  Winded, V. E. shifts his attention to our fourth character, the proud and poised Giorgi, “Gio” for short. Giorgi, the energetic young go-getter working his way out of hard times, is as stark a contrast to his peers as it is possible to be.  Each morning Gio brings delicious-looking baked goods to the supermarket.  Sober and walking tall, he delivers the delights with a quip and a smile not only for the drunkards but also for the ladies working in the store.  He even tosses V. E. a warm treat for free.  Thunderous lip-smacking and finger-sucking — and the jelly doughnut is promptly reduced to oblivion. Gio then holds the